Welcome!

Welcome to the Official Catholic Charities of Central Texas Blog! We are so happy you are here.

We are using this blog to keep our audience up to date on what we are doing in and around the Austin Diocese. If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at

Monday, June 8, 2009

What the interns are doing (a weekly journal)

Just this past week, Jeff Haecker and I (Sean DeWitt) began working at Catholic Charities as interns for the summer. Graciously, we have both been given the opportunity to work with the diocese, as we apply, and (God willing) getting accepted into seminary. Both of us hope that through this wonderful opportunity we will attain a greater understanding of the social work of the Church here in Central Texas and how to implement such work into a parish setting.
One of the things Jeff and I want to do while we are here with Catholic Charities this summer is share our experiences and hopefully give some insight into the great work that is done here. As part of this wish, we plan on keeping a running journal throughout the summer. We do hope you will enjoy this journal as it develops over the summer.

Week 1: by Sean DeWitt

First off to introduce ourselves, Jeff and I put together a small profile pieces in addition to our weekly happenings.

Howdy, my name is Jeff Haecker and I have just graduated from Texas A&M University where I majored in History. I really enjoyed my time at A&M and I will miss College Station. Over the last year I have grown a lot in my faith and this past spring I decided to apply to the seminary for the Diocese of Austin. I don’t know if God is calling me to be a priest, but I hope to discern that question more deeply in the seminary. I am originally from Austin, and this summer I am living downtown in the Borromeo House, a house owned by the Diocese for guys discerning the call to religious life. I am also interning at Catholic Charities, and it has been great. I am really looking forward to helping serve those in need.

My name is Sean Regan DeWitt, I am 19 years old, and I am from Dripping Springs, Texas. I currently attend the University of Dallas, studying Philosophy, and I just got back from studying abroad in Rome. Needless to say the experience was amazing! During this past semester, I decided to apply for seminary and have nearly finished the process. I hope to attend Holy Trinity Seminary in the fall. Right now I live in Our Lady of Guadalupe Rectory with Friar Francisco and two other seminarians (unfortunately, Jeff is not one of them). I am thoroughly enjoying my time here at Catholic Charities and I look forward to a great summer with them.

Now that you know more about who Jeff and I are, here are some thoughts and reflections on the work we did this past week, our first week on the job.

This past week after all the meetings and introductions, Jeff and I had the pleasure of doing some direct service with the food pantry here at Catholic Charities. Our first task was to pick a job and shadow one of the volunteers so that we could take over in the future. I was fortunate enough to help with the interviewing process, the last stage before the clients receive their food.

The interview does several things. First, it gives volunteers the opportunity for social interaction with the clients. We say hello, ask them how they are doing, and check in on their well being. Most clients find great relief in this interaction. Secondly, the interviewer aides the client in completing any forms that they need to finish, including their food order. The food order is a wonderful part of the food pantry as it allows the clients to choose the foods they want, or do not want, giving the client a greater sense of dignity. Instead of handing each client a generic sack of food, we want the clients to participate in the process and choose for themselves. Lastly, the interviewer tells the client about our program i.e. when they can come back, and other places they can go to for help. Again, this is another opportunity for the interviewer to care for the client as a person. Most clients find this part of the interview very helpful, finding out closer and more convenient food pantries, or other places they can go for resources. After shadowing several interviews, I was able to interview clients on my own.

As I am sure anyone reading this is aware, there comes a time in your life when you are figuratively hit in the head with a big two by four that has “reality” painted on it in big bold letters. I was hit by such a board, and it came in the form of an eighteen year old single mom. She came to me slightly shaking and having some trouble filling out the papers. I asked her if she wanted me to help her, but she did not reply. She spoke Spanish and I mustered up all the courage and strength I could, and started talking with her. She looked greatly relieved and slightly amused at my poor attempt at speaking her language.
While I was helping her fill out the forms, I learned that she was just eighteen years old (two years younger than me!). I could not believe it. Chills ran down my spine and I got goose bumps on my arms. My younger brother was eighteen, and he was graduating that night! I kept thinking to myself, “She shouldn’t be here.
She is supposed to be having fun with her friends and getting ready to graduate!”

The rest of the day I could not stop thinking about her, and I still pray for her ever chance I get. My meeting with her profoundly affected the way I see my life. I realize now how fortunate myself, my brothers, and my friends really are. We get to go to high school, then to college, and then off to work without worrying about things like where will I sleep tonight, or how am I going to find food for my six month old baby, let alone myself. I have heard about people like this girl. We all have. But when you meet her face-to-face, you realize how real she is; how real Christ is. Not only is she smart and intelligent, but she is a beautiful, courageous, and strong mother, worthy of anyone’s respect and admiration. I realized how hard it must be to be a single mom, and I could see Christ in her face. Her stare burned right through me and I felt His presence. I could see His suffering in her small, frail, but resilient body.

When I look back on that moment, I can see what it means to help others like this girl. I can see what Christ meant when he called on people to feed the hungry and clothe the naked. We have to help them carry the cross, because no is meant to carry the cross on their own, not even Jesus. I can only hope to have the strength that this girl has. I can only hope to embrace such a cross with the same Love that she does. I can only hope that one day I will have the opportunity to be her Simon and help her carry the cross.

2 comments:

Fr. Philip Powell, OP said...

Sean, I am glad to see that you found something useful to do with your summer. The whole "lay about on the beach and throw shells at seagulls" was a little lame! :-)

God bless and I will be praying for you and Jeff...

Fr. Philip, OP

Unknown said...

Sean,
This is so great! It's wonderful to hear all about what y'all are doing through Catholic Charities. This is also a great way to keep us updated while you discern your vocation. We're praying for y'all! God Bless.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.