
By Ashley Lahr
This past Sunday and Monday was All Souls day, a day in which we reflected those we have lost and the faithfully departed. When I went to mass Sunday night, it was a somber homily but at the same time, I had a rush of wonderful memories from those who I have lost in the past. In the Church, we set aside two days to remember those who are not here with us anymore but we there is one important factor- we can’t forget why we are here to begin with. We are still here, so we need to make the most of it.
I personally believe that everyone has a purpose and working in a non-profit environment, this is exemplified everyday. It is comforting to know that I can go to my supervisor or the person who sits next to me and talk about wanting to do something for the grace of God. I am blessed with wonderful things in my life such as my family, fiancé, friends… the list goes on. But I know that when I come to work every Monday and Wednesday, I am helping the greater good. By working closely with the development director, I assist her in whatever tasks she needs at hand and I am currently helping with the annual spring luncheon. People here at Catholic Charities all have a specific role in order to reach an ultimate goal. The final product is extremely rewarding: we are able to provide food for those who don’t have it; legal assistance for those who are trying to become U.S. citizens; our Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-housing program assists those who have been affected by our economy.
Through these services and my time here at Catholic Charities, I feel like I am able to make a difference in someone else’s life. We aren’t raising money so it can not be used, sitting in a corner of a bank, but we are trying to bring money and resources to those who need it. To those who wake up in the morning with no food in their fridge. To those who can’t pay their bills month to month in order to provide for their family. We are helping these people because we are Catholic and as Catholics we work together to help everyone else, Catholic or not. Coming to work and seeing the same faces everyday working towards the same goal is one of the most rewarding parts of my job. I may not see instant results, but I know that someone, somewhere is being helped and can make it through today and tomorrow. All Souls day has reminded me that those who are still here on this Earth living out Jesus’ words have a purpose. We must purposefully work together to provide help and create hope.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.