Every Thursday and Friday, Catholic Charities is blessed with the presence of over 30 volunteers. Serving mainly through the Angel’s of Hope Food Pantry, these volunteers stock shelves, interview clients and bag groceries, while honoring the dignity of each person they serve. Their contribution is a true miracle to both the people they serve and Catholic Charities because without them such services would not be provided.
Fortunately, some volunteers were willing to give a testament to their service here at Catholic Charities.
One Volunteer said:
I have been volunteering in the Catholic Charities food pantry for the past two and one half years. It has been a most rewarding experience to help in my small way…
Another said:
I must admit that I was very skeptical at first. I did not understand these client’s need for food, and for loving care. I could not comprehend how or why they did not pursue employment to better their situations. However, it was made very clear to me when I started coming on Fridays that “I was there to love these people and not to judge them.” But more than that, I soon became aware of the suffering and hopelessness that many of these people experience due to lack of education, formal training and the lack of acceptance in the work force in the city of Austin, Texas.
That same volunteer went on to say:
It is such a privilege to be part of the Angels of Hope Food Pantry. Once I set my pride aside and began to relate with those who come each week, I began to love them for who they are and not to judge them for what they lack. My job, each week, is to interview and to help them fill out their food requests. But more than that however, I am there to encourage them and to love them.
The sentiments of these volunteers are only a snap shot of the wonderful core of volunteers that serves here at Catholic Charities. Other volunteers work in ILS (Immigration Legal Service), ACT (Access for Central Texas) and other areas do great work for those in need. We thank these volunteers with our most sincere gratitude for both their service and their commitment. Because of them, Catholic Charities is able to serve the poor and impoverished in the central Texas area. Thank you.
For information on how you can volunteer, please visit our volunteer page here.

1 comment:
Thank you to our volunteers. They are the backbone of our agency giving of themselves selflessly.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.